• Terry Herr, CFP®, CLU

Why does my college bound child need a lawyer?

It’s 3:00 am and your phone rings. It’s the hospital in your son/daughter’s college town. They called to tell you there’s a problem and he/she is in surgery. You ask, what is wrong. The response from the hospital staff is, “I am sorry I can’t reveal that information due to health care privacy policies. Your child is over the age of 18 and we can only release that information to an authorized person.” What do you do? Obviously, you are getting on a plane or getting in the car for a long worried trip. But what are you thinking that whole time. What’s happened? How bad is he hurt? It must have been that #%@&$! roommate!

Nothing will alleviate the stress of hearing your child is in the emergency room. But you and your child, with the help of a lawyer can reduce some of this stress. Here are the documents you should discuss creating with a lawyer:

  1. Durable Power of Attorney – Gives you the authority to make legal, financial or other authorized decisions for your child.

  2. Medical Power of Attorney – Also known as a “Health Care Proxy” allows you to make health care decisions when college age/adult child is incapable of making it themselves.

  3. HIPAA Release Authorization – Allows medical professionals to release information about to you about your child’s condition.

These legal documents are most commonly associated and part of an estate plan or when a loved one begins to age. However, your college bound child does need a lawyer and so do you!

Helpful suggestions:

  1. Have your child carry an In Case of Emergency “ICE” card in their purse or wallet.

  2. Put copies of the documents on a small USB key chain or card that is marked “ICE”.

  3. Utilize the vault on our Wealth 360 website so you can access the documents 24/7 from anywhere in the world.

If you have any questions about where to start just give us a call or send us an email.


Herr Capital Management, LLC   27 West Plainfield Road, Countryside, Illinois 60525  

Where Prosperity Begins©  Phone: 312-697-1600  Fax: 312-697-1601

Form ADV - Privacy Statement 


Securities offered through American Portfolios Financial Services, Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC.  Investment advisory services offered through Herr Capital Management, LLC, a registered investment advisor independent of American Portfolios Financial Services, Inc.